"Allowed" to work from home?
Stumbled across this on WebWorker Daily, a site for telecommuting Web folks:
That got me thinking. "Allowed" to work from home? It's interesting that we praise this notion of working at home as a perk, an privilege, something to aspire to.
I guess I should be honest. I'm at home, right now, in my bathrobe, sitting in my easy chair with my Macbook on my lap. Allowed to have my eggs while I check my news. Allowed to not get into the shower until I'm good and ready.
But also "allowed" to check my email at all hours. Heck, I was chatting with a colleague until midnight last night. Now that I've pulled the plug on full-time work, that sort of thing doesn't count as "work" -- but when I was working it sure did. We'd work out all sorts of workplace problems over IM.
Now would my husband "allow" me to go to work? Hmm. What if we had said "forced" or maybe "required" or perhaps even "choose."
Words all have power.
Read the original report.
The number of employees who are allowed to work from home at least one day a month stands at 12.4 million, up 63% in two years.
That got me thinking. "Allowed" to work from home? It's interesting that we praise this notion of working at home as a perk, an privilege, something to aspire to.
I guess I should be honest. I'm at home, right now, in my bathrobe, sitting in my easy chair with my Macbook on my lap. Allowed to have my eggs while I check my news. Allowed to not get into the shower until I'm good and ready.
But also "allowed" to check my email at all hours. Heck, I was chatting with a colleague until midnight last night. Now that I've pulled the plug on full-time work, that sort of thing doesn't count as "work" -- but when I was working it sure did. We'd work out all sorts of workplace problems over IM.
Now would my husband "allow" me to go to work? Hmm. What if we had said "forced" or maybe "required" or perhaps even "choose."
Words all have power.
Read the original report.



<< Home